Eastman Chemical Company is a global company that manufactures and markets a broad portfolio of chemicals, fibers, and plastics. The company has historically focused on energy efficiency, but its commitment to continuous improvement has advanced to a new level with a restructured, corporate-wide energy program. Eastman Chemical is receiving ENERGY STAR recognition for its enhanced energy management program and commitment to continuous improvements in energy efficiency. Key accomplishments include:
· Improving energy intensity by 3 percent in 2011, which resulted in energy savings of more than $11.6 million. This equates to a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions of 357 million pounds or the elimination of the emissions from 31,000 cars. Since 2008, the company improved its energy intensity by 8 percent.
· Installing more than $1 million worth of meters as part of Eastman's dedicated metering program.
· Establishing a capital energy budget of $4.2 million based on the realization that energy projects are of low risk and high value to the company. Energy funding was also included in base projections for capital budgets going forward.
· Increasing the energy maintenance budget to $4.4 million under the energy team's authority to repair steam leaks, add insulation, and improve lighting.
· Institutionalizing an internal energy assessment process that was developed and piloted in 2010. The process identified more than $650,000 in energy savings.
· Raising awareness of energy efficiency and ENERGY STAR in the community and among employees through an energy fair attended by local media and the mayor; becoming a Change the World, Start with ENERGY STAR campaign pledge driver; and sharing ENERGY STAR educational resources with 140 schools through Eastman's Putting Children First partnership.