Whirlpool Corporation is a leading manufacturer and marketer of major home appliances, with 71,000 employees and 66 manufacturing and technology research centers around the world, and annual sales last year of more than $18 billion. The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator, Brastemp, Consul, Bauknecht, and other major brand names to consumers in nearly every country around the world. In 2011, Whirlpool stepped up its longstanding commitment to design, produce, and market ENERGY STAR qualified appliances. Key accomplishments include:
· Adding 18 new models to its suite of ENERGY STAR qualified products in 2011--an increase of 4 percent over the previous year--for a total of 473 models.
· Introducing some of the industry's most energy-efficient refrigerators available in 2011, using advanced 6th Sense® technology for temperature management.
· Providing one of the industry's most resource-efficient top-load clothes washers that uses over 70 percent less energy and water per load.
· Offering training and continued education on ENERGY STAR and energy efficiency for trade customers, designers, key influencers, and sales associates at its innovative World of Whirlpool experience center.
· Promoting ENERGY STAR through public relations outreach efforts--including press release distribution, targeted media outreach, experiential events, and point-of-purchase education and advertising--achieving more than 1.3 billion impressions in 2011.