Hines is a privately owned real estate firm that manages more than 122 million square feet of property around the world. Hines is receiving ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence recognition for embracing ENERGY STAR energy management best practices and actively promoting ENERGY STAR as the platform for tracking and evaluating energy performance. Key 2011 accomplishments include:
· Earning the ENERGY STAR for 26 properties for the first time in 2011, contributing to a total of 839 ENERGY STAR certifications since 1999.
· Maintaining a high-performing portfolio with an average ENERGY STAR score of 83, with more than 84 percent of buildings earning certification. Compared to the national average, these buildings typically save $1.57 per square foot annually, or more than $124 million portfolio-wide.
· Applying a policy stating that all Hines-managed properties must measure and track energy use in Portfolio Manager, resulting in more than 220 buildings, or 78 million square feet, being actively benchmarked.
· Engaging almost 870 tenants to save energy through its Hines GREEN OFFICE® (HinesGO®) program, which draws on the ENERGY STAR Bring Your Green to Work initiative, and designating more than 71 million square feet as HinesGO space.
· Promoting the ENERGY STAR energy performance scale to industry, associations, and energy rating organizations as the most useful and successful publicly available platform for tracking and quantifying energy performance.
· Taking a multipronged approach to raising energy efficiency awareness by displaying the ENERGY STAR logo on lobby windows and doors; maintaining up-to-date building profiles in the ENERGY STAR certified building registry; distributing newsletter articles about energy efficiency in its employee magazine, HINESIGHT; and recognizing building employees who contribute to achieving the ENERGY STAR with a Certificate of Accomplishment.