As a family-focused, value-oriented specialty department store, Kohl's Department Stores, Inc. operates more than 1,100 stores in 49 states and employs more than 81,000 people. Kohl's is receiving Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued commitment to seeking innovative solutions to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and energy costs, while demonstrating the value of environmental stewardship to customers and the general public. Key 2011 accomplishments include:
· Continuing to maintain up-to-date energy use data in Portfolio Manager for all Kohl's stores, distribution centers, and corporate buildings.
· Earning the ENERGY STAR for 81 stores, bringing the total number of certified buildings to 676.
· Reducing energy use by 2.3 percent on a Btu-per-square-foot basis compared to 2010 and surpassing its goal of achieving a 2-percent energy reduction by the end of 2011.
· Making cost-effective investments in technology upgrades to retrofit lighting at 96 stores, upgrade the energy management systems at 510 stores, and install variable frequency drives at 30 stores. Together, these projects will save more than 24.5 million kWh per year.
· Engaging 15 utilities that provide energy for 325 stores in a 12-month Energy Challenge to find additional energy- and money-saving opportunities for stores through energy audits and rebates.
· Championing the importance of saving energy and preventing greenhouse gas emissions to employees, customers, and the general public through presentations, environmental articles, news releases, overhead announcements in ENERGY STAR certified stores, and decals on store entrance windows.