3M is a multinational technology company with operations in more than 65 countries that continues to strategically manage energy use throughout its operations. 3M recognizes energy efficiency as a key element in corporate responsibility while maintaining a competitive advantage. 3M is receiving ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence recognition for its ongoing improvements in energy performance and sustainability efforts. Key 2011 accomplishments include:
· Improving global energy efficiency by 8.9 percent, thereby saving more than $43 million in energy costs. The company has reduced its energy intensity by 30 percent since 2005.
· Completing 177 energy efficiency projects to save more than $7 million and dedicating resources in 2011 for enhancing its reporting system to benchmark an additional 154 facilities.
· Encouraging smaller energy projects by committing $1 million in funds and relaxing the payback period from 2 years to 4 years for smaller projects.
· Issuing the Sourcing Sustainability Standard that encourages suppliers to be proactive in sustainable supply, including increasing energy and resource efficiency and mentoring 15 suppliers in the development and completion of eco-efficiency projects.
· Achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry 10 percent reduction goal at two of its plants.
· Hosting the Global 3M Energy Conference that brought together the company's energy leaders from around the globe to share and learn from each other on energy-related topics.