CalPortland Company is a major producer of cement, ready mix concrete, aggregate, asphalt, and other building materials and provides construction services across the western United States and Canada. CalPortland is receiving ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence recognition for advancing comprehensive energy management across its energy value chain. Key accomplishments include:
· Reducing overall energy intensity by 4.6 percent, resulting in the prevention of nearly 33,000 metric tons of CO2 emissions and decreasing absolute energy consumption by 1.1 TBtu, a 14 percent reduction over the previous year. Since 2007, the company has improved energy intensity by 10.6 percent.
· Conducting 144 energy efficiency projects expected to save more than 21 million kWh or an estimated $2.3 million per year.
· Working with senior executives in national building materials manufacturing associations to encourage energy efficiency practices and participation in the ENERGY STAR program among their members.
· Being instrumental in engaging the ready mix industry in ENERGY STAR and supporting the development of energy management tools to aid this industry.
· Promoting the value of strategic energy management practices and ENERGY STAR to more than 139,000 individuals through the sponsorship of community events, plant tours, open houses, school presentations, and the company's annual Energy Management Summit.
· Implementing a fleet energy management program to reduce truck idle times and improve the fuel efficiency of its mobile equipment.
· Working downstream within the company's energy value chain to assist customers in managing energy in their operations.