Hines is a privately owned, international real estate firm with more than 120 million square feet of property under management. In 2011, Hines is receiving ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued commitment to proven energy management best practices, as well as the application of new and innovative strategies to drive energy savings for clients. Key accomplishments include:
· Earning the ENERGY STAR for 24 facilities in 2010, for a total of 205 buildings earning certification or recertification 658 times since 1999. To date, 77 percent of all actively benchmarked, Hines-managed properties have earned, or have reached qualifying scores for ENERGY STAR certification--saving $1.20 per square foot, or $93 million per year, compared to the national average.
· Reducing energy consumption by more than 7 percent across more than 70 million square feet of commercial property.
· Continuing to expand the Hines GREEN OFFICE® (HinesGO®) program by working with more than 680 tenants representing 78 million square feet. In 2010, Hines helped its tenants to achieve over 25 million square feet of GREEN OFFICE designated space.
· Creating the ENERGY STAR Management Group, a network of leaders from every Hines business region to raise the profile and uptake of ENERGY STAR across the organization through resources such as a comprehensive benchmarking guide.
· Participating in the development of an ENERGY STAR score for data centers, which involved sharing data from multiple properties and providing insight and feedback throughout the process.
· Exploring creative approaches to communicating energy management activities, such as the online "Diary of a Rising STAR," which details how Hines is using the ENERGY STAR Guidelines for Energy Management at the individual building level and tracking progress along the way.