HEI Hotels & Resorts is a leading hospitality investment company that acquires, develops, owns, and operates fullservice, upper-scale, and luxury hotels and resorts. It has a current portfolio of 36 hotels totaling more than 8 million square feet throughout the United States. HEI is receiving ENERGY STAR recognition for innovative energy management practices that sustain year-over-year energy savings and expand the energy conservation culture at all levels of the organization. Key accomplishments include:
· Improving company-wide energy consumption by more than 6 percent in 2010 for an impressive 30.5 percent improvement since 2006.
· Developing and launching a mandatory orientation for new and existing managers that introduces HEI's energy conservation program, including the company's conservation history, the benefits of conservation, and how to participate.
· Rolling out its Enhanced Energy Program, which provides the "Fab 4"--Chief Engineer, Executive Chef, Executive Housekeeper, and Banquet Manager--at each hotel with specific tools to impact energy use in their departments, which account for 90 percent of energy consumed at hotels.
· Enhancing its company-wide, performance-based incentive program by having hotels compete to improve energy performance in three groups based on their 2009 ENERGY STAR score, and awarding substantial prizes to the most improved properties.
· Competing in EPA's first ever National Building Competition and contributing multiple blogs to share best practices with other competitors and building owners and managers, on topics such as engaging employees and sustaining energy management initiatives.