From its beginning as a small export business in Taegu, Korea, Samsung has grown to become one of the world's leading electronics companies. Today, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a global leader in high-tech electronics and digital media, holds approximately 20 percent of the U.S. television market as well as the top global market share position for 13 of its products, including semiconductors, TFT-LCDs, monitors, and CDMA mobile phones. Samsung is receiving ENERGY STAR recognition for bringing a broad range of ENERGY STAR qualified products to the market and teaming with a full suite of partners to promote efficiency. Key accomplishments include:
· Educating its customers by actively supporting the Change the World, Start with ENERGY STAR campaign; its efforts included driving ENERGY STAR pledges with the addition of an LED TV sweepstakes, engaging young people through the Boys and Girls Club of America partnership, and promoting the concept of efficiency and the campaign across the nation with Samsung's RV Tour 2010.
· Offering 930 ENERGY STAR qualified models, including 100 percent of Samsung televisions, clothes washers, dishwashers, refrigerators, computers, and multifunction devices.
· Driving further savings in TVs with LED backlighting and Automatic Brightness Controls, reducing energy consumption by up to 20 percent and 30 percent, respectively.
· Teaming with retail and utility partners to get the word out about the benefits of efficiency and the ENERGY STAR program; partnering with a major consumer electronics retailer to display a video demo of a Samsung LED TV, highlighting its ENERGY STAR qualification and consumer savings.
· Using ENERGY STAR as the focus of its Sharing the Vision annual environmental celebration, attended by leading cross-industry representatives.
· Participating in EPA's Low Carbon IT campaign and Green Power Partnership.
· Offsetting 80 percent of its Rancho Dominguez location's energy consumption with solar panels and using these panels to power its electric vehicle charging stations.