Gainesville Regional Utilities (GRU), the fifth largest municipal electric utility in Florida, serves approximately 90,000 retail and wholesale customers. It is the first utility in Florida to develop a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program and is receiving ENERGY STAR recognition for its outstanding delivery of the program to homeowners throughout its service territory. Key accomplishments include:
· Maintaining relationships with partnering contractors under challenging economic conditions by offering free and/or reduced-cost technical training.
· Establishing a third-party verification program for ductleak repairs.
· Improving 730 homes in 2010--a 60 percent increase over 2009.
· Continuing its rebate program to offset initial homeowner investment and helping homeowners determine which improvement package best fits their needs.
· Leveraging the ENERGY STAR brand to form partnerships with retailers and financial institutions to offer rebates and special low-interest financing for the purchase of ENERGY STAR qualified products and equipment.
· Partnering with the University of Florida and the Florida Solar Energy Center to offer a variety of courses in energy efficiency and building science.