J. C. Penney Company, Inc. is one of America's leading retailers, operating more than 1,100 stores throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. J. C. Penney is receiving ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence recognition for incorporating ENERGY STAR into all aspects of its energy management program and has achieved impressive results year after year. Key accomplishments include:
· Implementing an aggressive 5-year energy strategy to reduce the company's energy consumption 20 percent by 2015.
· Participating in EPA's National Building Competition, and earning third place by reducing energy use by 28.4 percent in its Orange, CA store.
· Earning the ENERGY STAR at 99 stores in 2010 for a total of 204 certified stores since 2007.
· Yielding impressive results through its Advanced Energy Management program, with 52 newly participating stores reducing energy consumption by 8.9 percent over the energy strategy baseline year of 2008.
· Expanding its energy program to include distribution and logistics centers.
· Displaying the ENERGY STAR mark on all J. C. Penney sales receipts and placing ENERGY STAR door decals at every store entrance.
· Engaging employees through energy awareness campaigns, company-wide environmental events, and visibly posted energy performance reports showcasing each store's ENERGY STAR score and comparing scores across facilities.