Nashville Area Habitat for Humanity, an ENERGY STAR partner since 2006, develops and constructs affordable homes for low-income families. Nashville Area Habitat for Humanity is receiving ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence recognition for its ongoing dedication to providing ENERGY STAR qualified new homes to low-income families. By doing so, Nashville Area Habitat for Humanity empowers families to generate wealth through successful long-term homeownership thereby breaking the generational cycle of poverty. Key accomplishments include:
· Constructing 54 ENERGY STAR qualified homes in 2010--an 86 percent increase over the previous year--for a total of 201 ENERGY STAR qualified homes built since 2006.
· Collectively saving homeowners a total of more than $168,000 per year on their utility bills and reducing their energy use by 42 percent, allowing families to utilize funds for other necessities.
· Building about 41 percent of its new homes to earn the ENERGY STAR.
· Incorporating ENERGY STAR messages into its HomeWORKS educational program for all new homeowners and their children.
· Altering purchasing and procurement policies to give preference to vendors offering ENERGY STAR qualified products.