3M is a diversified technology company with operations in more than 65 countries and a global commitment to energy management. 3M sets aggressive energy goals that are supported by senior management and monitors progress by tracking monthly energy use at 212 locations worldwide. 3M is receiving ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence recognition for its continuing energy management and sustainability efforts. Key accomplishments include:
· Improving global energy efficiency by 4.5 percent compared to 2009, saving more than $18 million in energy costs.
· Improving energy intensity by 25 percent since 2005.
· Designating $1 million to fund and launch additional energy projects to support 3M's commitment to continuous energy improvement.
· Completing 153 energy efficiency projects in 2010, saving $7.77 million.
· Forming research and business partnerships and awarding $150,000 in grants to academicians to address energy and renewable energy issues.
· Incorporating energy efficiency into the designs for the new headquarters facilities being constructed in Italy and New Zealand.
· Qualifying key suppliers for energy efficiency prior to awarding work to new engineering service providers and contractors. The company also evaluates major raw material suppliers in managing energy use and costs, and assists them in reducing the energy footprint of materials they sell to 3M.