Saint-Gobain operates in 64 countries and is a leading manufacturer of energy-efficient systems, glass containers, high-performance materials, and flat glass. Saint-Gobain is receiving ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence recognition for its commitment to building an energy-efficient future and reducing the environmental impact of its operations. Key accomplishments include:
· Reducing energy intensity by 3.8 percent, equivalent to the energy required to produce roofing shingles for more than 1.2 million homes, and preventing nearly 132,000 metric tons of CO2 emissions. Since 2008, the company has improved energy intensity by 8.5 percent.
· Achieving a corporate goal to engage all U.S. plants, buildings, and business units and its Canadian fiberglass operations in the company's energy program.
· Undertaking capital investments to improve energy performance. Specific measures include: providing incremental capital to improve efficiency in glass furnaces during scheduled rebuilds, upgrading boilers, investing in efficient compressed air systems and motors, and allocating funding for increased energy metering.
· Initiating a communications campaign around the ENERGY STAR Change the World pledge. The company exceeded its goal with 1,150 employees and their families participating, yielding potential reductions of more than 12 million kWh valued at almost $1.8 million and saving nearly 23 million pounds of greenhouse gas emissions.
· Leading the insulation industry by issuing a personal communication from the President of Saint-Gobain subsidiary CertainTeed Insulation to industry executives recommending they take advantage of ENERGY STAR energy management resources.