John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc. (JBSS) processes, packages, markets, and distributes over 2,000 nut products under the Fisher, Orchard Valley Harvest, and Sunshine Country brands and for private label distributors. Inspired and mentored by PepsiCo, who introduced JBSS to ENERGY STAR, the company's executive management launched its strategy to establish a world-class energy management program in 2008. JBSS is receiving ENERGY STAR recognition for adopting the ENERGY STAR approach to energy management, establishing aggressive energy reduction goals, and cultivating an organizational culture focused on efficiency. Key accomplishments include:
· Improving energy intensity by 7 percent over the prior year, a savings equivalent to $200,000.
· Establishing a robust energy program across the entire company in a relatively short period of time.
· Exceeding the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry goal by reducing the energy intensity of 60 percent of its plants between 17 to 26 percent.
· Conducting annual energy assessments at each plant and engaging all JBSS employees in identifying opportunities for improvement.
· Training all employees on energy efficiency and management that is reinforced through regular energy awareness communications.
· Managing the company's energy value chain by implementing measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions associated with the distribution of its products.