Kohl's Department Stores, Inc. is a family-focused, value-oriented specialty department store, operating more than 1,000 stores in 49 states. Kohl's is receiving ENERGY STAR recognition for its continued commitment to maximizing energy efficiency and for communicating the value of environmental stewardship to customers and the general public. Key accomplishments include:
· Continuing to track and verify data accuracy for all Kohl's stores, distribution centers, and corporate buildings using Portfolio Manager.
· Earning the ENERGY STAR at 196 stores in 2010 for a total of 563 certified sites.
· Surpassing its 2 percent energy reduction goal for 2010 by reducing energy use on a Btu per square foot basis by 2.4 percent compared to 2009.
· Upgrading Energy Management Systems at a total of 150 stores, thereby decreasing the number of unnecessary "emergency" lighting overrides, and reducing energy use by 1.5 million kWh annually.
· Initiating a nine-month Energy Challenge for all of its electric utility representatives, with the goal of identifying energy- and money-saving opportunities and improving ENERGY STAR scores in stores.
· Educating employees, customers, and the general public about energy efficiency and its ENERGY STAR partnership through public presentations, press releases, participation in environmentally focused events, and in-store messaging such as screensavers and receipts.