PepsiCo, Inc. is a leading global food and beverage company. PepsiCo is receiving ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence recognition for its long-term commitment to energy efficiency as part of the company's sustainable growth strategy, known as "Performance with Purpose." Key accomplishments include:
· Attaining an 8.5 percent improvement in energy efficiency over 2009 while holding absolute energy use flat despite an increase in production of 10 percent. The company saved nearly $100 million in 2010 from long-term energy management investments.
· Undertaking significant energy projects, including replacing old boiler technology with more efficient gas-fired units to save 42,500 MMBtu and $300,000 annually, capturing biogas from wastewater treatment to reduce natural gas use by 12,500 MMBtu per year, and improving condensate return to boilers for 18,000 MMBtu and $340,000 in annual savings.
· Continuing to build upon the successful PepsiCo Supplier Sustainability Outreach program to align U.S.-based suppliers with ENERGY STAR and to assist suppliers in managing energy consumption. More than 150 PepsiCo suppliers are now part of ENERGY STAR--an increase of 60 over 2009, and the suppliers reporting to PepsiCo have achieved an 11 percent reduction in energy intensity since 2008.
· Supporting the industrial energy service and product provider market in the United States by sharing its experience with other manufacturers through ENERGY STAR profiles.
· Enabling improved measurement and evaluation of plant energy efficiency by engaging PepsiCo suppliers in the development of an ENERGY STAR plant energy performance indicator for cookie and cracker plants.