Staples, Inc. is the world's largest office products retailer with 2009 sales of $24 billion, serving businesses of all sizes and consumers in 26 countries throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Staples is receiving ENERGY STAR recognition for its commitment to and success in increasing the energy efficiency of its buildings and its dedication to promoting the importance of energy efficiency to employees and customers. Key accomplishments include:
· Earning the ENERGY STAR for more than 135 buildings including stores, warehouses, and distribution centers in 2010, making significant progress toward the corporate goal of 500 ENERGY STAR certified buildings by 2012.
· Improving retail store energy intensity (kBtu per square foot) by more than 14 percent since 2009.
· Starting an energy awareness and management initiative in its 200 distribution centers by holding regional kick-off meetings that trained 1,200 facilities staff on ENERGY STAR practices and energy efficiency.
· Promoting energy efficiency to its associates by incorporating its energy efficiency mascot, Inspector Wattson, into posters, newsletters, and bulletin board announcements; hosting a Bring Your Green to Work energy fair at the Staples corporate headquarters on Earth Day; and recognizing the facility managers of the first 100 buildings that earned the ENERGY STAR at a special awards ceremony.
· Offering more than 600 retail products that have earned the ENERGY STAR through its retail stores, Staples.com, and Staples Advantage.