· Reducing energy use by 13.5% on an absolute basis compared to the previous year, which is equivalent to powering two of 3M's largest plants or 15,500 homes for a year.
· Completing energy efficiency projects that saved $17.2 million.
· Developing strategies and procedures to reduce the energy footprint of materials and services purchased by 3M.
· Supporting the advancement of energy efficiency in the United States by awarding $75,000 in grants for academics to conduct energy-related research.
· Engaging actively in the ENERGY STAR partnership to benchmark 3M's energy management practices among the industrial partners.
· Communicating energy efficiency to employees around the world through monthly networking conferences and the Change the World, Start with ENERGY STAR campaign.
· Advancing new sustainability principles to guide business unit strategies, including the Clean Tech Growth Initiative launched to encourage new 3M ideation around renewable energy, the Green Building Design Committee formed to design and construct 3M buildings to be environmentally sustainable, and new research and development projects to seek innovative energy management solutions.