Wells Real Estate Funds (Wells) is a purchaser and manager of a nationwide portfolio of Class-A commercial real estate. As of year-end 2012, the company owned and/or managed nearly 120 office properties in 24 states and the District of Columbia, encompassing more than 25 million square feet. An ENERGY STAR Partner since 2008, Wells received its first ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition in 2011 for its success in implementing a portfolio-wide benchmarking and energy management program.
Wells has been recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency as an ENERGY STAR Top Performer for achieving an average ENERGY STAR energy performance score of 80 across its portfolio of buildings. As good stewards of the resources entrusted to its care, Wells is committed to improving its sustainable practices to drive value and help create exceptional environments for tenants. Wells achieves its sustainability goals by:
· Evaluating the resource footprint of every property
· Advancing feasible, cost-effective strategies intended to decrease energy costs and increase resource sustainability
· Engaging tenants and service providers to promote continuous and measurable improvements in the sustainable use of resources
· Supporting and participating in educational programs to encourage employee, tenant, and service provider best practices
· Including a resource sustainability assessment for potential acquisitions
Compared to its 2003 baseline, Wells has prevented the annual emissions of more than 32,100 metric tons of carbon dioxide, which is equivalent to the carbon sequestered by more than 825,500 tree seedlings planted and grown for 10 years.