Return to ENERGY STAR.gov
Find More Facilities
ENERGY STAR Labeled Buildings & Plants
Facility Profile ENERGY STAR Logo

ENERGY STAR Labeled Building Profile

Saint Alban's Episcopal Church of Monroe Georgia
210 N. Broad Street
Monroe, GA 30655
Map It!

building

On January 4, 1954, 18 Episcopalians, including the Reverend A.H. Zinser, met at the Monroe High School Auditorium to organize a church in Monroe, Georgia. Some members had been attending the Church of the Good Shepherd in Covington, located more than 20 miles from Monroe. They had discussed plans to organize a new parish with Bishop Claiborne, who gave his blessings.

 

One of the organizers was Sally Launius, the wife of prominent Monroe businessman Harry Launius. Mr. Launius was engaged in buying some land on Monroe's Main Street at the time of the meeting. Though not an Episcopalian, he stood and asked, "If I buy this lot, and build you a building, will you continue to organize this Episcopal Church?" The group responded with enthusiasm, "Yes, sir and thank you!" Mr. Launius purchased the lot in honor of his beloved wife. During the time that the facility was under construction, the group worshiped on Sundays in the Rural Electric Association (REA) building boardroom.

 

The group of churchmen built a simple wooden altar that still remains in the small chapel. A neighbor to the new lot allowed the congregation to store that altar in an outbuilding behind her house until construction was complete. Each Sunday, the men would tote the altar across Main Street to the REA building where the ladies dressed the altar with linens for service.

 

Mr. Launius built the church as promised and the first service was delivered to more than 30 attendees on on June 20, 1954. St. Alban's Church initially shared a priest with services held at 8:00 a.m. Because of the early hour, breakfast was prepared for the visiting priest. The building was small, but adequate, and was filled with the aroma of eggs, bacon or sausage, and coffee.

 

St. Alban's slowly grew under the guidance of Father Zinser. In 1958, Mr. Launius gave a large donation to build a sanctuary connecting to the original church. The new church was adorned with a sizeable limestone Celtic cross, an outstanding and beautiful addition to Monroe's Main Street. In 2001, the church expanded further with the construction of the Education Building and the spacious Parish Hall.

 

In 2005, church management began tracking all utilities in Portfolio Manager, EPA's ENERGY STAR measurement and tracking tool. Four years later in 2009, Georgia Interfaith Power and Light performed an energy audit. The results were used to develop an energy action plan. Many changes were implemented in 2010, including:

 

-- making adjustments to the building envelope;

-- adding foam insulation in some areas;

-- changing HVAC ducting;

-- upgrading all lights to CFLs;

-- replacing two HVAC units with ENERGY STAR qualified models;

-- replacing a commercial freezer and refrigerator with ENERGY STAR qualified models;

-- sealing and caulking windows and doors; and

-- relocating offices to improve HVAC zones.

 

Each year, the church made steady progress toward energy efficiency goals, which ultimately helped the facility to earn the ENERGY STAR.

Communications:

Unavailable

Testimonial:

Unavailable

--


Please note: Narrative information in this profile has been provided by Saint Alban's Episcopal Church of Monroe Georgia or a representative of this facility. Other building information was verified and submitted to EPA at the time of application. Building energy performance, operating characteristics, and ownership/management may be subject to change over time.

Building Owner:*
Saint Alban's Episcopal Church of Monroe Georgia

Property Manager:*
Saint Alban's Episcopal Church of Monroe Georgia

Year(s) Labeled (Rating):
2011 (80)
2012 (81)

Facility Type: Worship Facility

Total Floorspace: 14703 sf

Year Constructed: 1954

Contract Type: None

Technologies Used:
   Stage 2-Lighting
   Stage 5-Heating and Cooling Plant

For More Info:
Frank Roth
Creation Keeper
Monroe, GA 30655
770-267-2893
saintalbansmonroe@windstream.net