First English Lutheran - Columbus
1015 E Main St
Columbus, OH 43205
The First English Green Team, officially launched in 2010, is committed to measuring First English Lutheran’s energy use and carbon footprint. The team took stock of its efforts, applied to become a Columbus, Ohio "Green Spot,” and was honored to be selected as the 2011 small commercial Green Spot award winner in February. Soon after, the team engaged the services of Foster Energy Management to conduct an analysis of the facility’s energy use to determine if opportunities still existed to improve energy efficiency. Next, the Green Team decided to conduct a Level III full-building energy audit. The audit was facilitated by a no-interest loan from Ohio Interfaith Power and Light as well as Columbia Gas of Ohio through their "Innovative Solutions" pilot project.
After shivering through many cold worship services in the nearly 100-year-old sanctuary, the Green Team knew it wasn’t going to get much more heat out of the more than 50-year-old furnace. As a solution, the team applied for grants and funding to replace the old heating system with a new, high efficiency system. The team commissioned its new systems and held an "Earthkeeping Celebration" in gratitude for the matching grant assistance the church received from the ELCA Mission Investment Fund of $25,000 and the assistance pledged from Columbia Gas of roughly $18,000.
Thanks to the able team of Favret Heating and Cooling and their very competitive bid, First English has highly efficient, natural gas fired boiler heating in its sanctuary and a highly efficient gas furnace. The Green Team’s total investment was less than 37 percent of total project cost and to them, “it was worth every penny.” The team can now fully utilize its building for ministry throughout the heating season and continue to be good stewards of its resources. The “icing on the cake” came when the team learned that First English Lutheran Church had been recognized as the first congregation in Ohio to be ENERGY STAR certified.
The congregation entered a monumental year in 2012, as First English Lutheran Church was completed 100 years ago, in 1912. In honor of the faithful generations that have come before them, the Green Team continues to strive to be better stewards of all the gifts with which it has been blessed. The team will continue measuring its energy use and look for new opportunities to improve energy efficiency.
First English Lutheran’s Green Team posts its progress through E-News and through the Energy Stewards Initiative Web site.
“2011 was a very good year for First English Lutheran Church from many vantage points and in particular, for our Energy Steward's Initiative. As people of faith, we know that we are called to do justice for all, which includes that we be intentional in our care of our natural world by striving to live sustainably and to be good stewards of all the gifts which we gratefully receive. How we use these gifts not only matters to our local ministry, but also to countless others around the globe, struggling to survive in an ever more hostile climate. It is incumbent upon us to do our part to reduce this burden in every way possible and hopefully lead others to do likewise, by example.”-- Sara Ward, Green Team Chair, First English Lutheran Church
Please note: Narrative information in this profile has been provided by First English Lutheran Church or a representative of this facility. Other building information was verified and submitted to EPA at the time of application. Building energy performance, operating characteristics, and ownership/management may be subject to change over time.
First English Lutheran Church
First English Lutheran Church
Year(s) Labeled (Rating):
Facility Type: House of Worship
Total Floorspace: 24000 sf
Year Constructed: 1912
Contract Type: None
For More Info:
COLUMBUS, OH 43205