Affinity Medical Center
875 8th Street NE
Massillon, OH 44646
In 2007, Affinity Medical Center, a more than 260-bed, acute care hospital in Massillon, Ohio, became a wholly owned subsidiary of Community Health Systems (CHS), a network of more than 130 hospitals. The change in ownership brought with it a renewed focus on efficient management of utilities and a drive toward improving the hospital performance. The current more than 399,200-square-foot hospital was built in 1955, with additions in 1963, 1979, and 2000.
Energy efficiency became a serious concern for Affinity's new owners in 2009. The hospital's ENERGY STAR energy performance score was in the bottom five percent of Community Health Systems' portfolio of more than 130 hospitals.
A project was launched January of 2010 with the goal of slowly improving the hospital's efficiency with no major equipment purchases. The engineering team at Affinity made many changes to the hospitals, including the following:
- Recommissioning and controlling all air handlers including set points, economizers, and load shedding (where possible) to prevent the need for additional chillers
- Restructuring the Siemens Building Automation System (BAS)
- Controlling each operating room individually, including the implementation of occupancy sensors, air exchange rates, and pressurization
- Controlling the chiller plant by resetting chilled water and operating the most efficient chiller
- Controlling the boiler plant with the night setback of steam pressure by using occupancy sensors
- Installing variable frequency drives (VFDs) on air handling units and pumps
- Replacing several steam traps, which eliminated any steam being wasted by blowing on the roof
- Retrofitting T-12 light fixtures with T-8s
- Replacing most incandescent bulbs with LEDs
- Replacing outdoor parking lot lights with LEDs
- Installing lighting timers and occupancy sensors throughout entire building
- Monitoring real-time electric usage to enable lower peak demands and to perform load shedding
Within two years of the project, Affinity became the first CHS hospital to earn the ENERGY STAR. The building now runs much smoother and is very efficient.
Please note: Narrative information in this profile has been provided by Community Health Systems or a representative of this facility. Other building information was verified and submitted to EPA at the time of application. Building energy performance, operating characteristics, and ownership/management may be subject to change over time.
Community Health Systems
Year(s) Labeled (Rating):
Facility Type: Hospital (General Medical and Surgical)
Total Floorspace: 454628 sf
Year Constructed: 1955
Contract Type: None
Financing Type: Internal Capital
|Stage 3-Load Reductions|
|Stage 4-Fan Systems|
|Stage 5-Heating and Cooling Plant|
For More Info:
Massillon, OH 44646