One National Street
Milford, MA 1757
The Verallia North America plant in Milford was built by Foster-Forbes in 1973 with one glassmaking furnace to supply the food and carbonated beverage markets. In 1976, a second furnace was added to the site. In 1995, Ball and Saint-Gobain formed Ball-Foster Glass Container Corp. (including Foster Forbes) as a joint venture. In 1996, Saint-Gobain purchased Ball’s interest in the joint venture, making Ball-Foster a wholly-owned subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, and on Jan. 1, 2001, the name was changed to Saint-Gobain Containers, Inc. In 2010, the brand name was changed to Verallia.
The Milford plant has reinvented itself twice in its history – first, in 1987, when the site began producing beer bottles, and a second time in 2006, when the facility was converted to manufacture all amber-colored glass, enabling the post-consumer recycling rate to be increased from 50% to 75%.
Today, the Milford plant has two furnaces that use 570 tons of raw and recycled materials in its continuous operations – seven days a week, 365 days a year. The Milford facility has approximately 215 hourly-represented and salaried employees that manufacture approximately 2.4 million glass bottles each day for the beer market.
Verallia North America’s Milford plant took the following actions to improve its energy efficiency:
This site earned the ENERGY STAR plant certification for the first time in 2010.