3000 West Cement Plant Road
Clarkdale, AZ 86324
The Clarkdale Plant was established in 1959 under the ownership of American Cement Corporation and was acquired by the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community in 1987. The original purpose for the plant was to supply cement for the construction of the Glen Canyon Dam in
In 1997 efforts began on a renovation of the existing plant. By the end of 2002 the renovation was complete and a new kiln, preheater, clinker cooler, coal mill, raw mill, and finish mill were commissioned into service. The single preheater kiln line replaced three outdated old kiln lines and reduced energy requirements by almost 50%. The new mills are all vertical roller mills which operate at 40% less power consumption than the old mill systems. This translates to running at 44% less fuel energy/ton of clinker. These modifications produced a more energy efficient plant with reduced air emissions and water usage.
The Clarkdale Plant earned the ENERGY STAR plant certification for the first time in 2007.