Rillito Cement Plant
11115 Casa Grande Highway
Rillito, AZ 85654
Construction on the Rillito Cement Plant began in 1948 with the first cement being produced in December 1949. The original plant consisted of a long dry kiln, two raw mills, two finish mills and three cement silos. Two more kilns were added during the 1950?s; however, major plant expansion began in 1970 on what was to become a modernized cement production facility. New equipment came on-line in 1972 that included a state of the art preheater kiln, a new crusher, raw mill and a rock stacker/reclaimer. An overland conveyor, the longest of its type in the world when erected, carries the limestone from the quarry to the production plant nearly four miles away. The preheater kiln was converted to a precalciner kiln in 1985. CalPortland continues to upgrade its facilities by implementing more efficient processes and by utilizing updated pollution control systems in order to minimize their impact on the environment.
CalPortland Company has a corporate wide energy management program, utilizing many practices from the ENERGY STAR Guidelines for Energy Management. The management and personnel at the Rillito Cement Plant have shown enthusiastic involvement in the CalPortland Energy Management program, and have proven themselves to be at a high standard by earning the ENERGY STAR plant certification.
The Rillito Cement Plant received the ENERGY STAR plant certification for the first time in 2012.