Ohio Refining Division
2408 Gambrinus Avenue, SW
Canton, OH 44706
Marathon's Canton, Ohio, refinery is located approximately 60 miles southeast of Cleveland, Ohio, and 90 miles west of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on approximately 180 acres. It has the capacity to convert 78,000 barrels of crude oil per day into such products as gasoline, diesel fuel, kerosene, propane, sulfur, asphalt and heavy fuel oil.
The Canton refinery was built in 1931 by Allegheny-Arrow Oil Company. It was purchased by Ashland Oil Company in 1948 and became a part of Marathon's seven-refinery system in 1998. It is the only refinery in eastern Ohio.
In 2002, the Canton refinery began developing a more comprehensive energy conservation program in conjunction with Marathon's corporate commitment to improve energy efficiency by 10 percent in 10 years. During the first five years of the program, the refinery surpassed its ten-year energy reduction target. Overall, the refinery has reduced energy consumption by more than 1,200,000 MMBTU per year.
This was accomplished in part by focusing on insulation deficiencies on asphalt tank roofs and exterior walls, upgrading insulation on process piping and equipment and more capital intensive projects, such as additional heat exchange on the distillate hydrotreater, which reduced the fuel required for the process heater.
The Canton refinery was first awarded the ENERGY STAR award in 2006.