Saving energy for your home-based business may seem like a challenge, but there are some simple, no-cost or low-cost steps you can take to reduce your energy bills by as much as 30%.
Try some of the options below and check out our Simple, Sure Energy Savers for more ways to save energy and money while preventing pollution.
- Turn up or turn back the thermostat during unoccupied times.
- Consider buying a programmable thermostat.
- Turn off lights or office equipment at night and over the weekend.
- Take advantage of daylight.
- Use e-mail instead of faxes, paper memos or letters.
- Disconnect unnecessary equipment.
- Caulk and weather-strip windows and doors.
- Replace light bulbs with more efficient ones. Consider changing to high-efficiency light bulbs or CFLs.
- Install timers on lights and electric equipment.
- Install blinds or shades to keep out summer sun and lower air-conditioning costs.
- Fix leaky faucets, showerheads, pipes, and toilets.
- Consider buying ENERGY STAR labeled equipment, such as computers, monitors, fax machines, printers, and copiers.
Back to Top
Get Specific Recommendations from the ENERGY STAR Home Improvement Toolbox
Use the Home Improvement Toolbox to identify specific energy saving improvements for your home, and view tips for common home improvements.
ENERGY STAR Qualified Products for Your Home-Based Business
Heating & Cooling