EZ GPO is a free tool for network administrators who run Windows Active Directory and manage client workstations using Group Policy Objects (GPOs). EZ GPO provides Group Policy Objects for centrally configuring power management settings, as they are not native in Windows 2000 or XP. However, power management can be managed through Group Policy on Windows Vista machines. (For this reason, the EZ GPO tool does not work on Vista PCs.)
EZ GPO at a Glance:
- Provides centralized control of user power management settings (monitor power management, system standby, and hibernate) in Windows 2000 and XP
- Requires no special hardware or network processes
- Is offered under a BSD style open source license and has no licensing fees
How it Works:
- Uses an automated installer
- Contains one binary application that runs as a service and one that runs on login under each user's account
- Reads the desired power management settings that are set using GPOs in integer and string value format
- Allows changes to power management settings using Microsoft's core Application Programming Interface
- Intelligently selects only capable computers when activating "system standby." (Computers generally capable of using system standby reliably run Windows 2000 or XP with Pentium 4 chip sets capable of S3 standby mode.)
Download EZ GPO (Free!)
Instructions for Installing EZ GPO
EZ GPO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
EZ GPO Success Stories:
- Fusion Trade Inc. (508KB) saved $70 per PC using EZ GPO and Windows Task Scheduler to accomodate nighttime updates.
- University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh (128KB) used the EZ GPO tool and technical assistance from EPA to activate system standby and save $9,000 annually.
- North Thurston Public Schools (133KB) used the EZ GPO tool to activate computer power management features and save $45,000 annually.
- VP Buildings (75KB), a designer of prefab metal buildings used the EZ GPO tool to activate monitor power management and save $27,000 annually.