Apply for Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR Certification
Design projects that meet the commercial building space type criteria and receive an EPA energy performance score of 75 or higher from the online Target Finder tool are eligible for Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR (DEES) certification. The projects and A/E firms that achieve the certification are recognized by EPA in the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Architects.
The Architect of Record (AOR) is responsible for submitting the application for DEES certification.
- First time AOR firms complete Application Process, Steps 1, 2 & 3.
- Existing AOR ENERGY STAR Partners complete Application Process, Steps 1 & 2.
- Application Process, Step 4 is optional for the initial application.
The links below provide project eligibility information:
- Project Requirements describe eligible building types, phase during the design process when projects can be submitted, and building owner requirements, etc.
- About Certification gives details for displaying the Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR graphic on project drawings and marketing materials.
Use Target Finder to Receive an EPA Energy Performance Score.
Note: Determine if the design project meets building space type criteria and Design Project Checklist requirements.
Note: Design projects that achieve an energy score of 75 or higher are eligible for Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR certification.
- Enter basic building characteristics and total estimated annual energy use in Target Finder; then view Results screen under “Design” heading to see the EPA energy performance score.
- Click “Apply for Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR” button on the screen.
- Complete the information on Application Screen, then view and print the Statement of Energy Design Intent.
Complete Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR Application Documents and Submit to EPA.
Note: The AOR is responsible for securing the letter from building owner and submitting original application documents to EPA. The dates on AOR and Owner letters of intent should coincide with one another; the letters should be signed and dated immediately after the SEDI is verified by a license professional. (Photocopies are not acceptable).
- Statement of Energy Design Intent (SEDI) Print from Target Finder; include stamp and signature of Licensed Professional (engineer or registered architect).
- AOR Letter of Intent Print on firm's letterhead; include date and signature from project architect.
- Owner-Occupied or CRE Developer/Owner Print letter on owner's letterhead; include date and signature of C-level official (CEO, COO, or CFO).
- Optional: Include Design Profile describing energy efficiency measures that helped the project achieve ENERGY STAR, see Step 4 for details.
Mail Completed DEES Application to EPA (for Existing Partners Only).
Note: First time AOR firms joining ENERGY STAR should submit the DEES application online with the SPP Partnership, see Step 3.
- Mail via USPS or Express Service to:
Attn: Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR
c/o ICF International
9300 Lee Highway
Fairfax, VA 22031
- Become an ENERGY STAR Service and Product Provider (SPP) Partner.
Note: The Designed to Earn ENERGY STAR (DEES) application is required in order to join the SPP Partnership; conversely, to join the Partnership the AOR is required to submit an application for a project that achieves DEES.
Note: It’s important to complete all DEES application documents (Step 2) before starting the SPP online application process; the software will not “save” your entries once you exit the program.
Be Recognized on the EPA ENERGY STAR Website
Note: See example of completed Design Profile. EPA also feature Profiles in trade publications, ENERGY STAR materials, and on the A/E Firms + Projects page.
Email questions to email@example.com.
Documents from Target Finder
Statement of Energy Design Intent (SEDI)
The SEDI documents that a building design meets the specified energy use and can be used to indicate the commitment and execution of the specific energy performance goal in the Request for Proposal, in contractual language, or during the design process. The SEDI is a two-page summary of all input and results data from Target Finger. Select "Apply for Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR" or "View SEDI" located on the top right of the results screen in Target Finder.
This screen is the entry form for completing the SEDI and applying for Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR. Complete all data fields and use the "Continue" button to preview the SEDI. Print the completed SEDI from Target Finder; the information will not be saved once you exit the screen.