A programmable thermostat helps make it easy for you to save by offering four pre-programmed settings to regulate your home's temperature in both summer and winter - when you are home, asleep, or away.
- The pre-programmed settings that come with programmable thermostats are intended to deliver savings without sacrificing comfort. Depending on your family's schedule, you can see significant savings by sticking with those settings or adjust them as appropriate for your family.
- The key is to establish a program that automatically reduces heating and cooling in your home when you don't need as much. Use the programmable thermostat calculator to see what you can save with set-back temperatures that work for your family. The pre-programmed settings for a programmable thermostat are:
Programmable Thermostat Setpoint Times & Temperatures
|Setting||Time||Setpoint Temperature (Heat)||Setpoint Temperature (Cool)|
|Wake||6:00 a.m.||≤ 70° F||≥ 78° F|
|Day||8:00 a.m.||Setback at least 8° F||Setup at least 7° F|
|Evening||6:00 p.m.||≤ 70° F||≥ 78° F|
|Sleep||10:00 p.m.||Setback at least 8° F||Setup at least 4° F|
Simple Steps to Energy Savings with Programmable Thermostats
Achieve significant energy and money savings that are possible through the proper use of your programmable thermostat. Learn how to:
- Have your thermostat properly installed - Here's what you need to know about proper and safe installation of your programmable thermostat, as well as when you should call a certified HVAC contractor to handle the installation for you.
- Properly set and use your thermostat - Follow these guidelines to achieve savings.
- Save with your manual thermostat - If you choose to keep your manual thermostat, here are recommendations to help you save, too.