Step-by-step process to verify applications
First, download The ENERGY STAR Guide for Licensed Professionals: Understanding the Roles and Requirements for Verifying Commercial Building Applications for ENERGY STAR Certification. This guide is required reading if you’re verifying applications for ENERGY STAR certification. It provides everything you need to know to successfully complete the process, whether it’s your first time or fiftieth time.
Next, you’ll need two documents from the certification application:
- Data Checklist
- Statement of Energy Performance
These two documents are generated automatically when a user applies for ENERGY STAR certification in EPA’s online tool, Portfolio Manager. Request these documents from the applicant (or the person who hired you to complete this verification). Once you have them — and your guidebook — in hand, you can start the verification process:
- Conduct a site visit of the building. Your primary responsibility as the Licensed Professional is to verify that the information submitted in the application is correct and that the building meets acceptable indoor environmental quality standards. To do this, you must:
- Verify all data inputs. Confirm that all of the information reported in the Data Checklist and Statement of Energy Performance is accurate and complete.
- Assess indoor environmental quality. Ensure that the building meets industry standards for acceptable indoor air quality, thermal environmental conditions, and illumination.
Note that you can have someone under your direction conduct all or part of the site visit on your behalf, but the Data Checklist and Statement of Energy Performance must still bear your seal and signature.
- If you find any errors or insufficiencies, ask the applicant to fix them. Simple enough, right? If you find any errors or omissions in either the Data Checklist or Statement of Energy Performance, or if the building didn’t meet any of the indoor environmental quality standards, ask the applicant to correct them.
- Check to make sure the application was corrected. Once the applicant has made the corrections and generated a new Data Checklist and Statement of Energy Performance, double check that all of the information in these two revised documents is now accurate and complete.
- Sign and date the verified Data Checklist, and sign and seal the Statement of Energy Performance. The last step is for you to attest that the application is correct. Do this by signing and dating the Data Checklist and sealing and signing the Statement of Energy Performance. Return both documents to the applicant.
Check out the ENERGY STAR Guide for Licensed Professionals for detailed instructions for completing each step of the process, guidance on conducting the site visit, and helpful tips.