Step 5: Apply for Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR
Both Portfolio Manager and Target Finder can calculate a 1 – 100 ENERGY STAR score for eligible new commercial building designs. This score rates your building design against existing buildings nationwide, and normalizes for key characteristics such as size, function, and weather. For example, a score of 50 signifies that your building, once built, will operate with median energy performance. A score of 75 means that your building will perform more efficiently than 75 percent of comparable buildings nationwide.
If your design achieves a 75 or higher, it is eligible for Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR recognition from EPA.
There is no application fee to apply for or receive the recognition. Not sure if you should apply? Read more about the eligibility rules and requirements for Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR or the 10 reasons your client will benefit from it.
Apply for Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR
To apply, follow these steps.
- Create a Portfolio Manager account.
- Enter your design using the Add Property Wizard.
- Get your design results on the “Design Tab.” This is where you’ll land after you’ve entered your design in the Add Property Wizard.
NOTE: To be eligible for Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR recognition, you’ll need to have a Design ENERGY STAR score of 75 or higher.
- Select the link to Apply for Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR and fill out our simple online application questions.
- Complete the following documents:
- Statement of Energy Design Intent (SEDI), stamped and signed by a registered architect or professional engineer
- AOR’s Letter of intent, signed by a project architect
- Owner’s Letter of intent, signed by a C-level executive at your client’s organization
- Design profile (optional)
Mail application and documents to:
Attn: Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR
9300 Lee Highway
Fairfax, VA 22031
EPA will review the application and notify the project architect once it’s been approved.