Benchmark to reduce risk, cut costs, and respond to mandates.
Why encourage your members to benchmark energy use in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager? There are many compelling reasons. They may need to respond to energy disclosure policies that are popping up across the nation in cities like New York, Seattle, or Washington, DC — all of which require the use of Portfolio Manager to comply. Perhaps they want to reduce risk from rising energy prices or position themselves to benefit from the demand for green. Or maybe they’ve heard that the typical building wastes 30 percent of the energy it uses and are ready to cash in on potential energy savings.
Still not sure why your members should benchmark?
- Check out 10 reasons to pursue ENERGY STAR certification.
- See the list of federal, state, and local governments leveraging ENERGY STAR for mandatory and voluntary initiatives that may impact your members
Tell your members about the opportunity.
Help your members understand how benchmarking energy use in Portfolio Manager is the first step to realizing the many benefits of improved efficiency. As a source of knowledge and expertise about your industry, you have the opportunity to advance your leadership by letting members know how benchmarking can benefit their organization.
Make the business case for your members.
- Learn the business case for energy efficiency
- Use ENERGY STAR calculators to calculate returns on energy efficiency investments
- Check out EPA’s Portfolio Manager DataTrends series to find specific saving trends for different types of buildings benchmarking in the tool
- Help them maximize savings by adopting an organization-wide energy management plan based on the ENERGY STAR Guidelines for Energy Management
Help them benchmark in Portfolio Manager.
EPA has many off-the-shelf resources to help a first-time user benchmark the energy use of any type of building.
To help your members get started with benchmarking: