Once your data is in Portfolio Manager, there are many ways to share your results and request data from others.
Connect with others
The first step to sharing your properties is to connect with other Portfolio Manager users. Simply search for their account within Portfolio Manager and send them a connection request. Once connected, you can easily share individual properties and meters.
Share your properties
There are many reasons you may want to share access to your property. For example, you may want to share with colleagues or with other partners that are helping you to improve your performance. You may also want to share with an organization running a competition in which you’re participating. Regardless who you’re sharing with, when you choose to share a property, you have flexibility to set the right level of permissions:
- Read Only – Use this level to share all of your data. All information, including your meter readings, will be visible, but no one else can edit them. This may be appropriate if you’re sharing with a campaign or outside organization.
- Full Access – Use this level to share all of your data and allow the other user to make edits and changes. This may be appropriate if you’re sharing with one of your colleagues or with your service provider.
- Custom Access – Use this level if you want to share some, but not all information. For example, you may have a colleague in another office responsible for keeping your property use details up to date, but you don’t want that person to edit your meter entries. You can customize the access rights accordingly.
Share your performance
There are three key ways to share your performance with others:
- Charts & Graphs – In our Charts & Graphs Section, we have a variety of pie charts and bar graphs available for simple download. Each figure can be exported as its own .png file so that you can incorporate it into a management report or PowerPoint presentation about your building.
- ENERGY STAR performance documents – EPA offers several performance documents, which may be useful for documenting your success to others, especially in official settings.
- Data requests – Any Portfolio Manager user can create data requests. These ask for specific performance metrics, such as your energy use or GHG emissions. You can access these requests from your account and provide this information. When you respond to a request, you only provide the specific performance metrics that were requested. You do not share your property.
In some cases, you may want to share a property that has been shared with you, i.e. “sharing forward.” We are currently working on the conceptual design to add this functionality to Portfolio Manager, with a priority on protecting your privacy, and hope to have it available in Portfolio Manager by mid-2014. In the meantime, as a temporary work-around, you can transfer ownership of individual properties or your entire account to another person, thereby allowing that person to share your properties with others. Please stay tuned for additional updates on our progress.
Request data from others
You can create a custom report template to collect specific data from other Portfolio Manager users. Once you create your report, it’s easy to generate a web link, which you can email or post online for others to access. When they click on the link, the report automatically becomes available in their account. They’ll select the buildings to add to the report and release the data back to you. You’ll then be able to run reports on the data for all buildings that responded to your request.
- Read our training document on how to share data with other users.